Looking to become a better networker this year? Talk about a smart New Year’s resolution! To help you, today we bring you three tips to get your networking skills to the next level in 2023.
Review Your Contacts
Think of your “dormant” contacts. This term refers to all the people you have met in the past with whom you are no longer in contact. It may be college friends, casual acquaintances, or former colleagues and bosses. If appropriate, reconnect with them through email or social media and let them know what you’re up to these days.
Don’t underestimate the potential of a contact just because you don’t have a strong friendship with them. A classic 1973 sociology study found that people were 58 percent more likely to get a new job through “weak” ties than “strong” ties. In short, even passing acquaintances can make a difference in your career.
Take Advantage of Social Media
Rekindling old professional connections is just one of the ways social media can help your networking efforts. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn are a treasure trove of potential contacts and expert advice. As you use these platform to expand your network, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Don’t focus only on more senior contacts; people at your same level, or who are beginning their careers can be great contacts too
- Be brief. Time matters, even more so on the internet, where we are subject to all kinds of stimuli, so keep your first messages clear and short
- Be personal. This rule applies both to social media and real-life networking: make your approach feel personal; nothing turns people off more than feeling that they are being contacted for pure professional gain
Join Your Local Chamber of Commerce
As we mentioned earlier, technology and social media have substantially expanded our networking horizons. However, there are other tried-and-true methods that should also be part of your networking toolkit. Joining your local chamber of commerce is an ideal way to make new contacts, get qualified advice, and discover new revenue opportunities. Other important benefits include:
- Marketing boost
- Sponsorship opportunities
- Mentoring opportunities
- Access to resources and information
- The possibility of receiving referrals
About The Pomona Chamber of Commerce
At the Pomona Chamber of Commerce, our mission is to keep you up to date with the most relevant developments in business management and administration so you and your company can take advantage of new opportunities
Contact us by email (email@example.com) telephone (909-622-1256), social media, or click on this link to join and start enjoying the benefits of membership today.