With the pandemic and the rise of remote work, virtual presentations are becoming increasingly common. That’s why today we bring you some simple ideas that will help you give more effective virtual presentations.
Get the Basics Right
The best way to get off to a good start with virtual presentations is to get the basics right. These are some of the elements you should pay attention to:
- Light: A strong light coming from behind may make you appear as a shadow to the audience. The illumination should be pleasant and even.
- Sound: Test your microphone and when you deliver your presentation, avoid wearing clothes or accessories (such as earrings, watches, necklaces, or chains) that make excessive noise when you move.
- Background: Choose a real or virtual background that conveys professionalism without distracting your audience.
- The quality of your connection: Instead of Wi-Fi, consider using an ethernet cable to connect your computer to your modem. This way your internet connection will be stronger and more stable.
Ask Rhetorical Questions
One of the most difficult aspects of virtual presentations is that you don’t get feedback from a live audience. A good way to simulate the back-and-forth you would usually have with attendees is to ask rhetorical questions. These are questions whose answers you know, but you ask them to emulate the dynamic of a conversation with your audience. For example:
- What does this mean? Well, it means that…
- And how do we know this? We know it because…
- What to do in this case? Probably the best course of action is…
Use Engagement Tools to Give Effective Virtual Presentations
Most video conference platforms offer an array of tools to engage your audience virtually. Some common features include chats, polls, or quizzes. Explore these options ahead of time and find ways to incorporate them into your presentation to make it livelier and more engaging.
More Resources for Entrepreneurs
These are some previous posts you can check out for more ideas about hiring, negotiation, and entrepreneurship:
- How to communicate more effectively at work
- 4 Web design tips for business owners
- 4 Ideas for entrepreneurs to take it easy as parents
- How to conduct successful webinars
- Adapt to new consumer trends with these ideas and tools
At the Pomona Chamber of Commerce, our mission is to keep you up to date with the most relevant developments in business management and administration so you and your company can take advantage of new opportunities. Contact us today by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) telephone (909-622-1256), social media, or click on this link to join and start enjoying the benefits of membership today.